Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Greensleeves

"What does not kill you only makes you stronger." -Nietzche

I was hoping to be able to post the Creed of the Noncommissioned Officer today. Disappointingly though, I can't because I was kicked out of the promotion board. I wasn't kicked out because of anything more superficial than I had worn my short-sleeve dress shirt under my Class A jacket, and so did my sponsor.

The SGM had me recite the Soldier's Creed then the NCO Creed, then the Army Values....all of which I did well on. Then I was dismissed because I didn't have sleeves under my jacket. By AR 670-1, I have the option, but it seems to be tradition for boards and photos to wear the long sleeve shirt. Now I know.

Am I disappointed? Sure, a bit. Pissed? No, not at all. Adversity makes me stronger, diappointment makes me more independent, and experience makes me more wise. The other aspects of my life have greatly improved recently. So much so that the stress of being given short time to prep for this board overshadowed a lot of happiness. maybe that is why I am taking it so well right now; I have some time now to fully enjoy my peronal life for a while. The next board I will attend will be in April. Bob, you may be visiting at an interesting time....you may experience one of the biggest celebrations that you've ever been too when I get this promotion next month, a party of unexpected proportions!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dorman, you'll nail it in April...no problem...sleeves indeed!
Apparently the Army believes that clothes do make the man...personally, I'd prefer to see you in nice tight jeans and um...a black turtleneck. Actually, I think all men should wear black turtlenecks and jeans or maybe a black tee-shirt but...I digress.

09:07  
Blogger brainhell said...

I agree that this is so petty that all you can do is savor it as a great story. Maybe part of it is to see if you'll get riled up and disrespect command authority. You defeat them by staying cool.

13:45  
Blogger SnotSucker said...

Better you than me. I wouldn't be able to tolerate the petty BS. Also, make sure you wear the proper underwear next time..I'm sure it's briefs too since they seem to be such tight asses. They should switch to boxers to help them loosen up and stop being so uptight ;)
Better luck next time!

14:05  
Blogger kgfkj;kjgkfj said...

Bob, you may be visiting at an interesting time....you may experience one of the biggest celebrations that you've ever been too when I get this promotion next month, a party of unexpected proportions!

Ahhhhhhhhhh.....PARTY PARTY PARTY!!!! :)

I echo many of the same sentiments here.....you'll get the promotion..... and then we can celebrate! Glad you are not letting this get you down. I'll call this weekend if ya still wanna talk. If not I'll be here on IM.

19:38  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Hang in there sport. Let them nick a pick at you. This, as you stated, only makes you not only stronger, but also more refined. This would be what they are shooting for. (Other than just picking out the weeds)

Have fun with bob. Wish I could be there. If things on your end change and you can’t make it home for Zak’s Graduation, I will, no matter what the cost, bring them over to you.

21:44  
Blogger kgfkj;kjgkfj said...

personally, I'd prefer to see you in nice tight jeans and um...a black turtleneck.

Stalker alert.

18:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home