Sunday, June 26, 2005

Interview: Babu Devkota

This casual interview is the first in a series of interviews I will be doing as time and opportunity permit. As you may have learned from earlier posts, we have privately owned company, KBR, providing us many services here and at other FOBs in Iraq. KBR hires many Americans under contract as well as many people from southern Asia. Most of these Indians, Nepalese, Thai, etc, work in food service.

Tonight I had the distinct pleasure to talk, at length, with my friend Babu. I see him almost every day working in our Dining facility (DFAC) and often take time for short conversations while in line for food. He always struck me as an intelligent and interesting man, always happy to serve us soldiers with a unique pride. This was the first time, though, that we had time to kick back and chat.

At 29 years old, Babu has an interesting history and philosophy on life. Born only 20km from Buddha's birthplace in Nepal, Babu grew up Hindu with strong Buddhist influences. From this philosophical / religious background, it was easy for me to see the source of his view on life. Babu sees people as individuals, and their struggle. He does not see race, nationality, religion, political party, etc. He looks to the problems we all have as humans, in the most basic ways, as motivations and as an opportunity to support the person in need. This is the most fundamental premise of Hinduism and Buddhism, where religious tolerance is not even as much as a thought, because we all are born into the same struggle no matter what our other differences.

I asked Babu his opinion of the War and Islam, what America is doing in Iraq. He did say that it does seem that muslims always wish to fight, but then focused again on the human struggle behind it. He has no big-picture opinion on the War or our purpose here. He is secure in believing that we are doing good for the truly good people in Iraq. He takes care of us soldiers by feeding us so we can take care of our business.

Babu had left Nepal years ago because of rebels that have been trying to overthrow the current government. Apparently, certain factions view the government as illegitimate and ill-gained. These terrorists, as he puts it, had tried to recruit him and his brothers under threats of death. Babu originally left to go work then in Malaysia where he was in charge of the worker's camp. The entire camp was populated by Nepalese and Bangalese workers. Once a fight broke out after some Bangalese men were drinking. The fight turned into a mob scene into which the localauthorities were called. Because Babu was technically in charge of the workers, he ended up spending 7 months in jail getting his water from the toilet, wearing the same set of clothes, and getting little to eat. Shortly after returning home, he started work for KBR (Kellogg, Brown, Root) which brought him to Kuwait for food service. KBR then moved he and his crew to Iraq where he has spent the last 13 months. Babu plans to remain another year, saving money for his family with the hopes of someday being able to move to America. His brothers and sister are already their with their families. He knows little of America except for the idea that if he can get there, works hard, he will succeed and his family will be happy and safe.

Though Babu wanted me to not write about what KBR pays him, I will say that by our standards it is low and in no way even on the same scale as the American that hands out towels in the gym. He does not complain, always maintaining the smile of his face because he knows God will provide for him.

He told me many stories of his home where they don't even bother with cash. His family has many fields with fruits and vegetables, so do the other towns people. They share with each other and extend that hospitality to anyone in need. He spoke of many temples and the beauty of the Himalayas. His family remains there, waiting for him to return hopefully with enough money saved to immigrate. Babu has been married for 9 years to his wife Arina. They have 2 children; a daughter, Biddhya, age 8, and a son, Bishal, age 5. Babu will be away from them for more than 2 years.

Babu represents to me several things. First, he represents the third party cultures that either benefit or exploited by the business of war (depending on your perspective). He also represents to me the truly peaceful religions of Hinduism and Buddhism. I hate to label them simply as religions because we tend to trivialize that term. He is an practicing example of the application of those philosophies / cultures; his thoughts, views, answers. I just wish more cultures and people considered these perspectives. He has no sense of 'entitlement', rather he gets what he works for and is happy for the opportunity. Once he is given that fair opportunity, his is eager to make the most of it in striving for his overall goal.

23 Comments:

Blogger SnotSucker said...

Great job! I really enjoyed this piece, very interesting. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!

16:22  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Yes, keep up the hard work. Hopefully someday, a scout from a major network will find you and you can do this sort of thing for a living. I think that would make you happy!

17:04  
Blogger Dorman said...

One other interesting thing we discussed, was the topic of racism. We didn't overtly discuss it, I didn't ask any direct questions about it. But when he talked about his experiences in Malaysia, I couldn't help but notice how segregated the people remained though they are all quite similar in appearance. In America, we seem to have this big hang up about not referring to someone's color or race or ethnicity, out of fear that we will be labelled as a racist for noticing the differences. With his experiences, 'foreigners' we all treated differently and known by the minute differences. The folks from Bangladesh grouped together as did the Nepalese, etc. Hell, he was even beaten in jail by his captors.

Now, being exposed to them daily, I can tell where these folks are from fairly accurately just by looking. But the differences are slight. My point is that there was no sense of pre-programmed outrage at the idea that he would be treated differently as an outside ethnicity; it was understood because it wasn't his country. Racism happens all over the world in far worse doses than in America. I think we need to realize that and get over it, taking our differences more in stride and giving up the sense of entitlements.

22:30  
Blogger Dorman said...

Look around,American politics are based mostly on special interest groups and beaurocratic issues. 40 acres and a mule is an idea for an entitlement that just won't die, no matter how absurd it is. Social Security provides so much political fodder because of its overblown beaurocracy and the idea that we should be entitled to something from the gov't when we retire. Without the idea of entitlement, it becomes kinda simple to see that if you want money in your old age without the hassle of a gov't involvement....save on your own. 40 acres and a mule? How about puttin' down the crack pipe and get and education + a job instead of trying to get something for free for something that never happened to you from people that didn't even do it to them.
In Babu's country, you have what you have, make what you need and the gov't is a totlly different entity than what we have in America. Affirmative Action in his country...negative. His idea of getting a fair chance has more emphasis on the chance part and lesson the fair. Many Americans complain and give up if rewards aren't all but handed to them, they claim they are entitled to something. Back to mattandrivers Freedom vs Liberty stuff. Babu does not shy away from an opportunity because it may be difficult. He expects that it will be and works hard to overcome. Many americans do too,but we are known around the world as fat, dumb, and lazy for some reason. Count the programs and institutions around today for the supposed purpose of creating equality. Bull.

I didn't see that as confusing but maybe I just needed to expand the clarification a bit.

Now as far as the war and his perspective, he doesn't consider things on that scale of thought. He is a single man who sees individuals and their struggles as motivations. He doesn't think on the lines of swaying whole nations or how world politics factors in to anything. Some men humble themselves to focus on certain aspects. He is concerned with people as people despite any other differences. Think back to my Fish Man story.

Iraq is not Babu's first choice, but it was his choice to pursue a job with KBR. He is aware of his sacrifices and goes forward in a life absent of regrets.

12:31  
Blogger Dorman said...

Surprisingly I even see a lot of entitlement mentality in the Army. Any time a little challenge or speed bump happens for some people, they quickly cry racism or sexual discrimination. I know these people personally, this isn't some vague idea I think I perceive. I've been to the meetings. These people bring down morale, like in America. I see the suspicion between groups because of the residual effects. Once you start giving away things as a gov't, you can't stop without making things worse. How you are raised is a big factor in one's outlook, too.

07:46  
Blogger SoulPony said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

13:12  
Blogger SoulPony said...

I have been reading your blog from time to time. I had high hopes with this post but judging from the comments you've made about this post I not sure you really get what Babu is selling. You have made negative posts about men showering too close to you. You posted that picture of the burned body and comment in a way that you thought he got what was coming to him. Well, you really made a joke of it. I haven't read everything on here but I am sure there is much more of that same stuff. You want something you do not extend. You want tolerance and understanding of what you are going through but you are not a tolerant person. I want to link to your blog from mine because of your firsthand views of the war but the intolerance leaves me reluctant. Although I will still frequent your blog and try to keep up with you I don't think I will ever find myself able to recommend this blog to others. Stay Safe. -T

13:40  
Blogger SnotSucker said...

And what is it you feel that Babu is selling? Are you disappointed because Dorman did not put Babu on a spit and roast him? The men showering too close is a satirical post with references to Seinfeld episodes and invasions of personal space. Lighten up!

14:19  
Blogger Dorman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

15:09  
Blogger Dorman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

15:12  
Blogger Dorman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

15:23  
Blogger Dorman said...

Ok, I just got criticized and put down for my differing view of homosexuals by someone who says that *I* am not tolerant....

She is intolerant of my views because she sees me as intollerant.

Is anyone else getting a chuckle out of that sweet hypocracy?

16:13  
Blogger Dorman said...

and thank you I.L. for putting things a bit more tactfully than I could muster at the time. I fully believe in our inalienable right to speak freely, but we need to do so responsibly and be consistent in our views. Debate is very welcome here. Differing views are encouraged as long as you can be brave enough to support them and have opposing views aired.

I personally do not want you to link to my site. As you say, the association might dirty us both.

Tonya, I would be excited if you would take some time, consider your point of view and the issues you would like to express, then do so in a way that we all can discuss. Give me and the rest of the readers a fair chance to respond and clear up any issues you see. If we then don't agree, we can respectfully disagree.

16:20  
Blogger SnotSucker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

16:27  
Blogger SnotSucker said...

Aww shucks, we're playing nice again. I enjoy the ranting Dorman every once in a while;)
I was looking for a good argument!
btw I will be at Chase's this weekend.....!

16:30  
Blogger Dorman said...

I have risen above those that criticize before being fully informed ;)

16:33  
Blogger Dorman said...

The post is there but the pic has been temporarily unavailable. It will come back soon enough. Why? Well, because it is a way to get people's heads out of the sand. Ya, I made an absurd joke of it but to me that guy got what he deserved. That is the reality of war and the real consequencesof his own actions and choices.....

(segue music begins to play.....)

02:41  
Blogger Dorman said...

A little more clarification is due, I think, since apparently some readers have a hard time grasping the definition of tolerance. I made reference to Babu seeing things as human problems, the individual's struggle with something that motivates them to do what they do. That, again,is partially the basis for Eastern religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism. What I omitted,accidentally, was his statements that his support of an individual's struggle applies to 'good people'. 'Bad people' get what they deserve, they have brought the consequences on themselves. So, this perspective in no way supports an idea that tolerance means to not judge the actions or motivations of others. Nor does it mean that anything anyone does can acceptably be explained away or they suffer intolerance.

There are a few discussions that I am in currently that seem to have some common ideas in them. One point that I have been subtlely trying to make is how each of us processes information. Information is everywhere and we are always, either actively or passively, acquiring it. Information is critical to how we shape our own selves and our perspectives.

In psychology, there is the concept of 'cognitive construct' which we all develop. basically a cognitive construct is how as thinking (cognitive) beings piece together the information and experiences to build our idea of reality. Without going into too much detail, I raise this concept because I see two distinct groups of people. The first type of person is the person that intakes information, evaluates it, then reassesses his/her cognitive construct based on the new evidence. We tend to think of these people as 'open minded' because their self and their understanding of the world around them is always a work in progress, all information is valuable information to some degree that either validates and edifies or disproves a previous notion. The other group is the inverse. These folks tend to have a specific idea or belief in their minds that they then bend all information and experiences around. The information that validates or justifies is kept while anything that challenges or disproves is rejected and forgotten. Some people can maintain this thought process indefinitely while many people come to a snapping point at some time when they find that their grasp on reality has become significantly detached and it is difficult to function. Think cult member here as an extreme example. Their cognitive construct was wholly replaced by a charismatic cult leader. Think insurgent. Think about anyone that rejects the obvious to protect what they wish to hold up as 'their truth'. Religion is notorious as a fuel for this process. Everything must be filtered, lest the elaborate system of justifications and apologetics be challenged and crumble. Religions should be intended to free people, not to enslave them in needless doctrines and practices.

I like to think that I, and almost all of my readers, are the first type. Though I have the bully pulpit on this blog, I chose to open us the comments for the free and open exchange of info and ideas. We established in a long ago discussion that tolerance is simply a label for the weak minded to avoid forming an opinion about a challenging topic. Personal accusations or insults towards anyone here without proper documentation won't be tolerated because another purpose of my blog is to have people become more like the first type too.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds." --Bob Marley


Unplug from the Matrix.

03:13  
Blogger SoulPony said...

One does not have to look far to see hate on your blog. So you have different opinions. That is not what I was talking about. I was refering to when you make judgement about a human being. That's not just an opinion. I'm not talking about I like blue and you hate it. I'm talking about I don't like the person you were at birth intolerance. It seems obvious to me that the others on here think it is ok to murder people because they are fighting the same fight you are but on the other side. How many children have been killed because you went to Iraq to fight the fight for Bushes oil. You yourself keep talking about the fact that you should not be there but still....

And as for Babu I just thought he probably looks at each life as important as his own.

10:42  
Blogger SoulPony said...

I know that each time I comment someone on here will have to kick more dust. That's what you do when people don't agree with you. Unlike you interstellarlass I can leave and never come back. Because I don't need to win. I realize others have different opinions even if they are blinded by their own life experience. I bid you farewell. You can stop your responses now because I won't be back to read whatever you have to say and knowing that you just can't let it go.

11:19  
Blogger Dorman said...

Tonya, I checked out your blog last night. Seems to me that you are the character assassin around here. Criticizing a politician for having a gay brother but not supporting gay marriage as law. You sling mud pretty well. Funny how maybe he has an opinion of marriage and homosexuality but figures the two have nothing in common. I happen to agree. There is a wholelot of heterosexuality going on out there without marriage being a factor. You have your blog, state your opinion there, don't come here and waste space with empty comments.

You are pretty deluded about war and soldiers and many other things. You've judged me without much information and a lot of your own inferences. I ignorance, and you right now represent that. Unless you seek education, you'd be best served to keep your fingers from the keyboard.

12:12  
Blogger Dorman said...

I agree with you on the religion thing. I disagree that there is no basis to jusdge good or bad people. Without some form of judgment, there can be no morality.

(side not: Dickie, this is your cue.)

13:22  
Blogger Dorman said...

Readers,let me suggest that you got to Crys' blog and comment on her latest 2 posts: A Question and The Neveau Feminist Dilemma.

Very interesting entries that I would be curious to see more responses to.

02:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home