Friday, June 24, 2005

Home on the (M249) Range

I spent most of the day at the edge of the FOB participating in an M249 range. Fun stuff, another chance for me to fire my machine gun. I qualified as Expert....undoubtedly. Nothing else really to tell except thatI have been so NOT stressed lately that I have gone into binary mode. I am either full on or full off. For instance, I woke up for the range, got cleaned up, wiped down my M249, and drove out to the range. The unit that was there from 0500 was running over time. It was now 0930. So I slept in the HMMWV. About 90 minutes later I was awakened to start firing. Did my little expert shooting and made it back to my hooch. Ate lunch quick and napped. Got up to make some phonen calls, resumed nap. Ate a bit of supper, napped. Did some PT....stayed up. Go figure.

Got dehydrated at the range, enough so that I almost passed out. Even though I am a CLS (Combat Life Saver) and know all the precautions and symptoms, that crap sneaks up on you. First thing I did, right out of bed, was drink almost 1.5 litres of water and ate a protein bar (thanks mom!). I thought that would hold me, but it didn't. Seems you sweat so much more than you can imagine when A) you've become used to 120 F heat and 2) you wear an IBA (Interceptor Body Armor) that hides the profuse soaking that develops. Once I got to my hooch and took off the IBA, I realized I was soaked through 2 layers of clothes. No wonder.

The only other noteworthy thing that happened today was 1LT Rodriguez started teaching me to play soccer. Maybe by the end of this deployment I will be playing against the Iraqis.

11 Comments:

Blogger Allura said...

When I was travelling abroad I met another Canadian girl from the prairie provinces. We were in South Korea and the men she met there all insisted that it was impossible that she knew how to use a gun. (I guess they consider it "unfeminine".) She said, and I quote, "a real woman can shoot and kill her own dinner."

Ever since that day I've been meaning to work on my "real womanhood." :)

23:02  
Blogger mattandriver said...

When I was in high school, soccer was considered a 'gay' sport. (Around here, the word 'gay' is used in place of 'dumb' or 'stupid'. Hey, don't blame the messenger.) I have since grown to respect the soccer, or Football, as a very aggressive and competitive sport. I actually didn't know of this sport being popular in the middle east. I need to get out more!

Guns are not bad. People are bad. I have been shooting guns since I was about 10 years old. I am an avid hunter. I currently have eight or so guns in my home. My kids know of them and respect them. I let no mystery be involved with guns and kids. Mystery and the unknown is the leading factor (in my opinion) in kids playing with guns. "If you want to see, wait until I get home". "If you want to shoot, wait for the weekend and we will go." If you let kids know of, and respect something, the glamour is gone and there is no "wow, look at this. can I play with it?" Or "My dad has a gun. Do you want to see it?" This type of thought is gone when you remove the secrecy and install respect.

Sorry for the tangent, but I have a few issues. Bang away with your opposition at will.

Dorman, watch yourself out there. I know you. You may have issues, but you always put the other guy, or your current situation first before yourself. Selfish is not a work known by you. "I know" or "I knew better" is allot easier to say than "I need".

On a side note. The feeling you get from that power in your hands is great, isn't it. It's almost better than sex. Did I say that?

You didn't miss much so far with the fireworks of 2005. I wish I could have sent you a video of the ones we watched tonight, but was unable to do so. The 4 of our had a good time, despite the lack of excitement.

I bet you wings and beer on a test of marksmanship.

23:10  
Blogger mattandriver said...

Sorry for the misplaced 'the'. My mind is a sift!

23:13  
Blogger Dorman said...

I.L. - Guns aren't bad, people are. If you would have had a gun, that idiot would have not bothered you. Like Larry the Cable Guy said,"Gun Control is like blaming the pencil for misspelled words." And I sure hope this does NOT dwindle into a gun-control debate. Keep in mind how safe guns, like mine, are keeping you all right now ;) Plus,look at Britain's statistics. Oh, and I drank like 8 Gatorades when I got back, we have tons to that stuff.

Soccer, always hated it because of the twinkle-toes I knew growing up who played it. Watching European soccer while in Europe gave me a new interest in it.

D.H.K. - Amen! Do a Google on "Chicks and Guns" and see how much men like that idea too >;-P

23:31  
Blogger SnotSucker said...

Wow, you know everything and now an Expert marksman too! What's next?
Dorman for President!!!!!
;)

01:14  
Blogger Dorman said...

I won't need your votes, I will effect my Ubermensch mind control on the populace. Or figure a way to hack the voting computers, or just go plain fascist on everyone since I am so good at shooting my (banned in America) machine gun.

02:27  
Blogger SnotSucker said...

I love it when you talk German! I prefer mind control over hacking and wielding weapons. The human psyche is so much more fun.

I only want a demigod for President and you ARE afterall THE MAN !!!!

04:46  
Blogger SpiderLord said...

"Guns don't kill people, husbands who come home too early do"
-Larry the Cable Guy

08:57  
Blogger SpiderLord said...

Human decency? What's that? Oh I think I remember what that is. I gave a homeless man some money once, but he got robbed shortly after. Once again not getting involed would have worked in this situation.

09:09  
Blogger Jenni said...

hiya saw you posted on my journal figured id say hi didnt knwo how you found it :)

08:18  
Blogger Dorman said...

ummm, men. you need to visit dark haired karen's blog.

ummmm. ya. ok.

15:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home