Sunday, September 03, 2006

Gary Coleman

So many facets of my life right now are unsettled. I had to stand in from of officers days ago and explain to them that my old unit set me up on a path for failure. Given the nature of single-fatherhood, I decided that I am unable to get my Family Care Plan together in a reasonable amount of time and thus should be honorably discharged from the Army. Sad fact is that the bastards at the 17th could have easily done the right thing and I would have easily and happily continued on as a soldier. No more did I leave their offices with an extension on my leave and instructions on how to start the separation paperwork did I begin missing the Army and being a soldier.

So I made a choice, probably the 2nd worst choice of my life, and am trudging on. My first hope is to get employment as an Army civilian back in Germany. This separation paperwork could take 2 months or so, therefore I have some time. But my awesome relationship back in Germany might not hold forever. Nothing is easy or clear at this point except that living in central PA is much less preferrable than living in a tent in Iraq.

If I get stuck living here in the States, I will migrate towards Philly most likely. I have some very close friends there that have encouraged me to move nearer them. It will definitely be better than right here, and I love spending time with them, but Philly is not the same as being back in Germany. Maybe we all will move back to Germany together someday.

On a more political note, I just read an article in the paper today stating that Opium crops in Afghanistan have increased this year by (I think) 65%. Any other questions about why we invaded them? Natural gas and owning both ends of the War on Drugs. Sweet!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The road is wide and the stars are out and the breath of the night is sweet,
And this is the time when wanderlust should seize upon my feet.
But I'm glad to turn from the open road and the starlight on my face,
And to leave the splendour of out-of-doors for a human dwelling place.

I never have seen a vagabond who really liked to roam
All up and down the streets of the world and not to have a home:
The tramp who slept in your barn last night and left at break of day
Will wander only until he finds another place to stay.

A gypsy-man will sleep in his cart with canvas overhead;
Or else he'll go into his tent when it is time for bed.
He'll sit on the grass and take his ease so long as the sun is high,
But when it is dark he wants a roof to keep away the sky.

If you call a gypsy a vagabond, I think you do him wrong,
For he never goes a-travelling but he takes his home along.
And the only reason a road is good, as every wanderer knows,
Is just because of the homes, the homes, the homes to which it goes.

They say that life is a highway and its milestones are the years,
And now and then there's a toll-gate where you buy your way with tears.
It's a rough road and a steep road and it stretches broad and far,
But at last it leads to a golden Town where golden Houses are.

-- Joyce Kilmer

23:36  
Blogger kgfkj;kjgkfj said...

I too am hoping that one day we all can move back to Germany. :)
You've come too far to let this get you down.
Hopefully you'll come visit and we can run around DC for a weekend.
And remember, you should try and brings the kids to Joel's and Melissa's for CelticFest on the 22nd-24th. I'll be there.

09:10  
Blogger Carnealian said...

Now that's a sad picture. Just let me know where I can find you. And, you have to stay in the Army. Because in 4 years when Patrick graduates, you and Brian will both have to call him "sir." And, I want to be around for that!!! We all had a good laugh about that at dinner last night.

"Sometimes the best map will not guide you
You can't see what's round the bend
Sometimes the road leads through dark places
Sometimes the darkness is your friend
Today these eyes scan bleached-out land
For the coming of the outbound stage
Pacing the cage"

19:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home