Sunday, October 18, 2009

DFAS Fight Follow-up

Thank you all who have responded in the comments to my previous posts about my ongoing fight with DFAS. The current status is this.... I have exhausted the appeals through my Congressmen and Senators. I placed an appeal directly to DFAS using dd form 2789 (google it) and am waiting to hear back. The process, they claim, can take 90 days or more and I am reaching that limit. I have little hope that they will see my plea. I truly think that with the deployment cycles as they are and the ever-growing divorce rates among military personnel that there would either be a stronger enforcement of UCMJ for infidelity (it is currently on the books but hardly enforced unless it is a CYA move to avoid an EO complaint) or create a new Hardship code for us honorable soldiers that find ourselves in an impossible situation by no fault of our own.

I propose that maybe we should band together and start a grassroots movement to make this issue prominent. The problem is too pervasive and has gone unaddressed too long. The end result is that we get victimized twice, once by the home-wrecking spouse and then by the branch of the military we've loved so much.

I have contacted lawyers but they are either afraid to take a case against the government or flatly assholes with no concern for anything but they pay. Pats on the back are free thanks for what I (we've) done for this country, but stepping up and helping is too much for these people. Maybe we can send a Brigade of lawyers to Afghanistan for a rotation, then things may change here.

Contact me if there is any interest in forming some advocacy / action group or if I can help in any way.

Dean

8 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

So what is the current status?

20:33  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

18:28  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was in the Navy and was "Involuntary Separated" with an honorable discharge but recieved a separation code that resulted in a recoupment SRB (Bonus) for the time I still had left on my contract. At the same time because I was awarded an involuntary separation I was also entitled to Separation Pay. Well....I ended up not getting anything because the two canceled each other out. The Bonus recoupment ended up being more and I still ended up with a debt to DFAS. Now if I remember right, bonus recoupment should only be done if the member is at fault for not completing his/her obligated contract. In my case I was Involuntarily Separated (not my choice), therefore not my fault. Seems like they found way to not pay me on the way out the door.

I went through the same situation with a few different details but it runs the same path. I even submitted a claim to BCNR and was denied. It is really a shame for them to do this. All at the choice of a separation code. The guy that typed up my DD-214 could have used the other code (2 choices for my situation) to keep me from having to pay back any bonus and believe me that code was not easy to fine then. But once you are out of the military...too late to get it changed with out going through BNCR (navy and marine). Don't know what it's called for the army.

18:32  
Blogger Dorman said...

Still fighting / waiting it out. I filed for a review and a waiver with dfas and predictably rejected. They blackmarked my credit but have stopped the harassing calls from collection agencies. I guess until I can come up with a feasible plan to have the code changed according to regs, I'll just wait it out - apparently negatives on your credit report are only valid for a certain time frame.

I also suggest that we band together and possibly fight the gov't as a unit instead of individually. Maybe start a group on facebook for the many that have been affected. At least we'd be able to provide support to each other and advice

10:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.
Keep on fighting,you will succeed.

13:14  
Blogger Boniface said...

What ever happened in your case, sir? I am going through a similar bogus debt claim dating from 2007 that they are trying to collect now in 2015.

10:27  
Blogger Dorman said...

A few years ago, the bastards took the money out of my tax return without warning nor recourse. Lawyers turned their backs on me telling me that their fees would far outweigh the money I owed. Support the troops!

17:52  
Blogger Dorman said...

Unfortunately, when tax return time came, the gov't just took the money without warning. No notice, no recourse, just took it.

10:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home